Friday, May 23, 2008

I wanna be sedated.....


This past weekend I went to a sedation workshop put on by Specialty Health Education. I thought it was very good and well worth the time and expense. I've been providing sedation for a few months now without any formal training; I had a good orientation with a preceptor, but no specific training in sedation other than what I read on my own. I highly recommend "Moderate Sedation/Analgesia" by Michael Kost, who is one of the presenters for Specialty Health Education (note: I am not affiliated with them in any way, just a happy customer).

The presenter who taught my seminar gave us quotes and situations which other students had brought to previous seminars. The scariest quote was, referring to RN-administered Propofol (I'm paraphrasing), "I don't worry about giving Propofol, because we have Romazicon right in the room in case I need to reverse it." YIKES! I would hope that anyone administering sedation would know that Romazicon reverses Versed and other benzodiazepines, NOT Propofol! There is no reversal for Propofol. 

I'm doing a home-study CEU packet through this company, which I bought at the seminar. I figure that the more I know about sedation, the pharmacology of the drugs involved, and the risks to my patients, the safer we all will be.

No comments: